Thursday, April 29, 2010

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad

When you write a book, you have to anticipate that not everyone is going to like what you have to say, whether in whole or in part.  I've been very fortunate to get some good reviews, from students, friends, and professional colleagues.  But in the past week, Prohibition has also come, if not exactly under attack, at least under critique.

The first came from David Kyvig in The Catholic Historical Review (http://www.muse.uq.edu.au/login?uri=/journals/catholic_historical_review/v096/96.2.kyvig.html).  Let me say what an honor it was to have Prof. Kyvig write a review.  When it comes to experts on the repeal of Prohibition, he is at the top of the list (quite literally having written the book).  And he offered up a balanced, in the main, review of the book.  However, if I was to critique his critique, it would be that I didn't write the book he wanted me to write.  Indeed, his largest issue (and he did make some valid points that I hope to one day be able to redress in a second edition) was that I didn't present a "balanced" view of Prohibition in Indiana.  Of course, I wasn't exactly seeking to write such a book.  Rather, I was writing the biography of a man (and a movement) who thought Prohibition was a good idea.  It wasn't going to be balanced in that sense!  I could quibble on some other things, but if that is the worst thing he can say about the book, then so be it.  All authors have to take critiques after all (and Kyvig's book once got a similar critique from Jack Blocker).  It comes with the territory.

The second critique was a bit more interesting, on a technological level at least.  While doing a quick search (yes, I Google the book often, just to try and get a feel for things), I stumbled upon a reader blog, in which someone had made mention of Prohibition.  Obviously, I had to see what was said!  The post was from 4 days ago and "Nuthatch" from "NW Indiana" was complaining about "slogging" through the book.  Indeed, Nuthatch admitted that it was full of information they found of use, but complained the writing was "uninspired."  Who knows, maybe Nuthatch will come around the further they get into the book.  Perhaps not.  I know you can't please everyone all the time.  Of course maybe it also had something to do with Nuthatch saying that they were also bored by reading their camera's instruction manual, I don't know!

Here's to hoping that May will bring more good news.  It already looks like I'll be speaking to the Marion County Historical Society in August, and who knows, maybe some better reviews are forthcoming!

No comments: